Search This Blog

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Fans flock to welcome Ronaldinho

Brazilian star Ronaldinho was greeted by more than 20,000 fans at his unveiling at new club Flamengo.
The former World Player of the Year has joined the Brazilian Serie A club from Italian powerhouse AC Milan and was given the number 10 shirt at the presentation on Thursday.
Ronaldinho was delighted with the fans reception and said he hoped he could repay the adulation on the pitch.
“I hope I can give back all your affection on the pitch. Thank you for your that,” Ronaldinho said.
“Let’s go, black-and-red nation, we are together. I am on your side, I am now Flamengo.”
Ronaldinho, 30, hopes a return to regular club football in his home country will help his future with the national team, with Brazil to host the 2014 FIFA World Cup.
A desire to help his nation with a sixth World Cup – in front of the nation’s fans – was a driving factor in his decision.
“I decided to come to Brazil because of that,” he said.
“Many times I thought of coming back to Brazil to finish my career. After all that happened – with the possibility of playing in an Olympics and a World Cup, and after many years abroad – everything motivated me to return.”
“And I want to get back into the national squad and stay there until the World Cup.”
The attacker hopes to replicate the feats of Zico, who became a legend for the club: “(I signed) because of the club’s history, because of all the players who wore this jersey, because of Zico, who is and was always my biggest idol,” he said.
Ronaldinho will make his Flamengo bow in the state championships, starting in January.

No comments:

Post a Comment